Common Cat Poisons to Avoid

A cat who swallows something poisonous will usually vomit it up, and avoid harm. If more than a little was swallowed, or if for some reason that cat did ingest some of the poison your cat could be in trouble. If your cat shows any signs of poisoning, or collapses, you need to get them to a vet as soon as possible.

Here are some of the common poisons that a cat can get into.

Chemicals

Alcohol- The signs of poisoning by alcohol are vomiting, collapse, dehydration, depression, and most seriously falling into a coma. With out treatment by a veterinarian alcohol poisoning is potentially fatal.

Antifreeze- The signs of poisoning by antifreeze are first lack of coordination, vomiting, convulsions, and is untreated coma. Veterinarians have developed a shot that may block the effects of antifreeze poisoning so that cat must see a vet very quickly to avoid damage.

Cleaners and Disinfectants- The signs of poisoning by these cleaners are acting nervous, diarrhea, vomiting, staggering, and coma. If left untreated this kind of poisoning is often fatal.

Pesticides and Insecticides- The signs of poisoning by muscle twitching, drooling, convulsions, and lastly coma. There is no antidote for this kind of poisoning. The cat needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

Rat poison- The signs of poisoning by rat poison are general restlessness, abdominal pain, vomiting, bleeding, and diarrhea. This kind of poisoning is potently fatal but there are antidotes available.

Snail and Slug poison- The signs of poisoning by snail and slug potions are muscle twitching, salivation, vomiting, diarrhea,convulsions, and lastly coma. Veterinarians have developed some very effective treatments for thus kind of poisoning but time is of the essence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


× one = 2