Every year gas prices
seem to go higher and higher. Unfortuantely there is not much you can do about the price of gas. However there are ways to improve your gas mileage which will ultimately help you save at the pump. Here are some tips on how to improve the gas mileage that you get with your car:
- Drive sensibly. Speeding, rapid acceleration, and braking wastes gas. That kind of behavior can lower your gas mileage by as much as 33% at highway speeds and 5% around town roads.
- Follow the speed limit. Gas mileage decreaes quickly at speeds above 60mph. Every 5mph you go over 60 is like paying an additional $0.15 for every gallon of gas.
- Avoiding idling for long periods of time. Idling gets 0 miles per gallon. Cars with large engines usually waste gas more so than cars with smaller engines.
- Remove any excess weight from your car especially heavy items. An extra 100 pounds in your car can reduce your MPG by as much as 2%.
- Use cruise control when on major highways. Cruise control helps you maintain a constant speed and will save you gas.
- Keep your engine in good shape. Fixing a car that is out of tune can improve its gas mileage by 4.1% on average. Results vary depending on how well done the repair is and what kind of repair it is. If your car has a bad oxygen sensor then your gas mileage can improve as much as 40%.
- Check air filters regularly. Replacing a clogged filter can improve your car’s gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Keep your tires properly inflated. Under inflated tires can lower gas mileage . Properly inflated tires are safer and last longer.
- If you can leave for a work a little bit earlier and leave a little bit later you can avoid peak rush hours. During rush hour you will be more likely to sit in traffic and waste fuel.
By following these tips you can use the gas you buy much more efficiently which well help reduce how much money you spend at the pump.