Though it may be tempting to save calories where you can on Thanksgiving, breakfast is no less important on the most gluttonous day of the year.
Your morning turkey day meal can be healthier than the standard drive thru or donut shop fare. The below three options are filling, easy to prepare, and perfectly complement the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade.
Baked Egg Muffins
This quick treat is easy to customize with your own flavor combinations; my favorite is diced ham, cheddar, chopped mushrooms, and bell peppers.
- Ingredients: 8 eggs, vegetables of your choice, meats of your choice (optional), cheese of your choice (optional), Ã?Â¼ cup of water, salt, and pepper.
- Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a muffin tin with baking cups. Chop meats and vegetables, and shred cheese (if necessary). Sprinkle these ingredients in the baking cups. Whisk eggs and water into mixture, and season with salt and pepper. Pour the mixture slowly over the ingredients. Fill cups, and bake for 15-20 minutes. Serve them warm. Refrigerate any extras in an airtight container, and pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm.
Apple-Banana Baked Oatmeal
Feel free to sub in other fruits for a different burst of flavor.
- Ingredients: 2 cups of rolled oats, 2 tablespoons of honey, pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 1 cup diced apples, 2 sliced bananas, 2 cups skim milk, and 2 egg whites.
- Instructions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray a 3-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Combine, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl; pour the mixture into the baking dish. Drizzle honey on top, and mix in half of the apples and half of the bananas. Combine the milk and egg whites in another bowl, and pour mixture in the dish. Top with the remaining apples and bananas. Bake for 35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Pumpkin Pie in a Cup
No need to worry about oven space; all you need is a blender to create this fall breakfast (or post Turkey Trot) treat.
- Ingredients: Ã?Â½ cup of pumpkin puree, 6 oz unsweetened almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, 10 drops of honey, 6-7 ice cubes
- Instructions: Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve with whipped cream and cinnamon on top for added sweetness.