Central New York is quickly becoming a vacation hot spot for many families. There are unlimited amount of activities for people of all ages. One popular attraction for visitors is the vast amount of state parks in the region. In New York, many parks are opened all year long and have activities associated with all seasons, including winter. When you travel to the Central New York Region, enjoy a visit to one of these ten popular state parks.
(1) Chenango Valley State Park is located in Chenango Forks, New York. Situated on a lake, Chenango Valley Park has a popular beach, boat rentals and fishing is allowed. In addition to water activities, Chenango Valley State Park contains a playground, picnic tables, 216 campsites, over 20 available cabins, a golf course, and a handicapped accessible nature trail. This park is open year round and all household pets are allowed; however, they must be on a leash. For more information call (607) 648-5251.
(2) Chittenango Falls State Park is located in Cazenovia, New York. This park, which is open year round, was named one of Reserve America’s Top Outdoor Locations for the 2005 year. There are hiking trails along a beautiful 167 foot waterfall. In addition to hiking, this park has pavilions, picnic tables, playgrounds, camping sites and more family fun activities. Pets are allowed if they are properly caged or leashed. Anyone who is interested in visiting, is encouraged to call (315) 655-9620 ahead of time.
(3) Bowman State park is located in Oxford, New York. This park is famous for its campsites and sandy lakefront area. Activities in Bowman State Park include camping, pavilions, picnic tables, playgrounds, fishing, and hunting. In the winter time, hundreds of cross-country skiers and snowmobilers travel to this area for their scenic trails. Bowman State Park is open all year long and household pets are allowed. Call (607) 334-2718 for more information.
(4) Clark Reservation State Park is located in Jamesville, New York. This park, open year round, is well known for its cliffs, woodlands, wetlands, and full meadows. Visitors to Clark Reservation can experience fishing, hiking on five scenic trails, biking, eating under pavilions and on picnic tables, and enjoying the playground. Pets are allowed; however, they must be properly cared for. If you are interested in visiting the Clark Reservation, it is recommended that you call (315) 492-1590 for more information.
(5) Verona Beach State Park is situated in Verona Beach, New York. This park was rated one of Reserve America’s Top Outdoor Locations for the 2005 season. Verona Beach Park is located on the shore of Oneida Lake; therefore there is an amazing beach with the ability to fish. Families can enjoy the picnic table, pavilions, and playground areas. In the summertime, there are scenic biking and hiking trails. If you are to visit Verna Beach State Park in the winter time, bring your snowmobile or skis because they have great trails. Dogs are allowed in the park; however, an up-to-date rabies certificate if required upon entrance. Contact Verona Beach State Park at (315) 762-4463.
(6) Sandy Island Beach State Park is located in the scenic town of Pulaski, New York. This park is a part of the Lake Ontario Dune and Wetland Systems. Attractions at Sandy Island Beach include swimming in the beach area, fishing, and a boat launch for non-motorized boats. There are also picnic tables for families to enjoy quality meals or snacks together. Sandy Island Beach State Park is open year round, from sunrise to sunset. For more information call (315) 387-2657.
(7) Selkirk Shores State Park is located in Pulaski, New York and was rated one of Reserve America’s Top Outdoor Locations. Selkirk Shores Park is open all year round and has snowmobile and cross country ski trails in the winter. During the spring and summer months, the park is great for fishing, boating, and beaching. There are also biking and hiking trails, campsites, cabins, picnic areas, and playgrounds for children. All household pets are allowed; however, they must be properly caged or on a leash. For more information, contact Selkirk Shores at (315) 298-5737.
(8) Green Lakes State Park is located in Fayetteville, New York. This park is located on two beautiful lakes with a nice beach, fishing spots, and boat rentals. Green Lakes is open year round; however, camping is prohibited in the winter. If you choose to only visit for the day, there are picnic tables and a great playground. Household pets are allowed. The contact number for Green Lakes State Park is (315) 637-6111.
(9) Delta Lake State Park is located in Rome, New York and offers 101 different campsite locations. All year long, you can walk the scenic nature trails, take bike rides, play on the playgrounds or eat at picnic tables. Once winter comes, the park opens up their cross-country skiing and snowmobile trails. In the warm months, you are able to swim, fish, and boat on the lake. Please call (315) 337-4670 for more information.
(10) Glimmerglass State Park is located in Cooperstown, New York. Cooperstown is also famous for the Baseball Hall of Fame. Glimmerglass was rated one of the best 100 campgrounds in the nation and it overlooks Otsego Lake. The attractions include a beach, fishing, hiking and biking trails, picnic tables, and a playground. During the winter, ice fishing is popular here and there are snowmobile and ski trails. This park is open all year round and pets area allowed; however, they must be on a leash no longer than six feet. Call (607) 547-8662 for more information.
In addition to the parks mentioned, Central New York offers a large amount of local and more state parks. With all of the available activities in the area, Central New York is a excellent place for family vacations.