This station was first established when the Bakerloo Line platform was initiated as Trafalgar Square in 1906, by the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (BS&WR).
Addition of Northern line platforms
The platforms of the Northern line were initiated as Charing Cross in the year 1907, and at that time there was no direct link in between the two lines underground.
For the betterment of the interchange features of this station, the Charing Cross Euston and Hampstead line was expanded under the main line station of Charing Cross, to connect with the BS&WR, and another line of the Underground Electric Railways Company of London opened in April 1914.
The original ending destination point of the CCE&HR in the north was renamed Charing Cross (Strand) and the new station and the BS&WR station to the south of the main line was named Charing Cross (Embankment).
On May 9, 1915, a name change was put into effect. Charing Cross (Strand) was renamed as Strand, and Charing Cross (Embankment) was renamed simply as Charing Cross.
Construction of Jubilee Line
On June 4, 1973, the construction of the new Jubilee line platforms commenced, and the Northern line Strand station was closed owing to construction purposes.
Another name change
Another name change was put into effect in the year of 1974, when Charing Cross was renamed as Charing Cross Embankment yet again.
Yet another name change
However, the change was far from permanent, and another change of name was in order. In May 1979, the Jubilee line platforms and the restored Northern Line platforms both began their operations. The combined station with the Trafalgar Square was given its present name. Also, Charing Cross Embankment was renamed simply as Embankment.
Opening of final section
On 20 November 1999, the Jubilee Line platforms at Charing Cross were shut, after the beginning of the final portion of the line between Waterloo and Green Park.