Black bean soup is one of the best comfort foods especially in winters. It is also a very healthy dish and you can make many innovations to it.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2hr 30 mins
Serving Size: 6 persons
Utensils: 4-quart, thick-bottomed pot, 8-quart, thick-bottomed pot, Large spoon for stirring, blender, serving dish
- 1 pound dried black beans (about 2 cups), rinsed, soaked in 4 quarts of water overnight or 6 hours and then drained
- 1 lb smoked ham hock or shank
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (can substitute 2 large carrots)
- 1/2 carrot, chopped fine
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 Tbsp lime juice (can substitute lemon juice)
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Avocado, peeled and chopped
Take a 4-quart thick-bottomed pot and put your beans and ham cock into it. Follow up by adding five cups of water, bay leaves, salt and baking soda. Turn on the heat, bring the water to boil. Reduce the flame and let the mixture cook for nearly one and a half hour. Now remove the ham cock and split the meat into small pieces.
Now take an 8-quart thick bottomed pot, place it on medium high flame, and heat the olive oil. Add onions, celery, sweet potato and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cook until the potatoes and onion become light brown. This will take about 15 minutes. Switch the flame to medium after that, add cumin, chili powder, and garlic, and cook for another two minutes.
Beans, their cooking liquid, chicken stock, molasses, and bell pepper are then introduced to the pot and the mixture is then cooked for 2- to 30 minutes on slow heat.
Remove nearly half of the soup and put it into the blender. Blend it till the mixture has smooth consistency. Add back to the pot. Add some lime juice and do the desired seasoning.