Coffee Flavored Flan Recipe
Author: Cynthia Lee
- Fat: 14 g
- Saturated fat: 9 g
- Trans fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Sugar: 60 g
- Sodium: 210 mg
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg
Recipe type: Dessert
- Sugar - 150 g
- Water - 4 tablespoons
- Sweetened condensed milk - 14 ounces
- Milk - 7 ounces
- Cream - 8 ounces
- Cinnamon - 1 stick
- Cardamom - 2 pods
- Instant coffee (dissolved in a tablespoon of water) - 2 tablespoons
- Eggs - 5
- Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon
- Turn on the oven and preheat it to a temperature of 315 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If you are using a gas oven, you need to preheat to gas mark 2.5.
- Add water to a saucepan and place it over a stove burning on medium heat.
- When the water comes to a boil, add sugar to the pan and start stirring the mixture with a wooden spoon until it turns brown.
- When the contents of the saucepan turn golden, immediately remove it from the heat.
- Add about a tablespoon of caramel mixture from the previous step to as many aluminium cups as possible.
- Place another saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cream, milk, vanilla essence, coffee mixture, cinnamon stick, pods and condensed milk to this second saucepan.
- Allow the contents of the second saucepan to come to a boil and then remove it from the stove.
- Set it aside in order to allow time for the flavours to mix together.
- Properly whisk five eggs in a separate bowl and add the mixture from the previous step to the bowl a little at a time.
- Each time you add the coffee sauce mixture, stir the contents of the bowl.
- Slowly sieve the mixture in the bowl into another saucepan.
- As the mixture drops into the saucepan, be sure to whisk.
- Cover the base of a roasting tray with a tea towel.
- Transfer the mixture from the saucepan into a large jug and pour in into aluminium cups.
- Be sure to leave about 1 cm empty space on the top of each cup.
- Fill one third of the total volume of the roasting tray with near boiling water.
- Bake the mixture in the cups in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take out the tray, remove the water from it and then place it in a refrigerator for about an hour.
- When the coffee flans are properly chilled, remove them from the aluminium cups by going around the edges with a sharp knife.