How to Sue a Lawyer for Misrepresentation

Lawyers have one of the most interesting yet most difficult jobs at hand. They plead their cases on the basis of knowledge and skill yet every now and again they get a case that is totally different in nature and brings a new challenge to the lawyer altogether.

It’s a well paying career if you are acquainted with the laws and know how to plead your case well. However, not all lawyers are good at what they do and some are also corrupt in nature. They may not always plead their cases with competency or honesty and can be a cause of you losing a law suit.

In such a case, you can file a complaint with the court sighting misrepresentation by the lawyer. This is something that should only be done once you are certain that the lawyer indeed misrepresent you. It’s a complex process but if the proper procedure is followed, success can be had.


  • 1


    Carefully evaluate the case and see if the lawyer out of his or her incompetence or deliberately did not plead the case properly. One must be sure that he or she could have had a favourable decision if good quality representation was done by the lawyer and the case could have been won on the basis of evidence at hand. Losing a case can leave you unhappy but you must be objective in this evaluation.

    - Image Courtesy:

  • 2

    Time Limit

    Once you are certain that the lawyer breached his or her part of the contract and misrepresented you, make sure that you are within the legal time frame to suit your lawyer. There is a prescribed time limit by law and may vary in various places.

    - Image Courtesy:

  • 3

    File Papers

    The next thing to do is to get the right paper work from the court clerk and fill them in and file them in the court. It will not be a bad idea that you employ the services of a lawyer who specialises in such cases. Once the paper work is filed and is in order, the court will issue summons to the parties in the case.

    - Image Courtesy:

  • 4

    Wait for Response

    The other party will respond to the court summon once they receive it. They may even request that the motion to be dropped altogether. If you have proper grounds for your case, this motion will most likely be dismissed.

    - Image Courtesy:

  • 5

    Negotiate or Go to Trial

    At this point, you can negotiate you terms with your former lawyer and settle the matter out of court. If that is not something that is possible, then you can take the case to court and work for a favourable decision there.

    - Image Courtesy:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

− one = 6