Hummus Salad is a flavorsome and nourishing dish, taking less than half an hour to prepare. Hummus is basically very luscious and wholesome first course meal that is famous among many Middle Eastern nations and can be used in variety of ways.
Traditionally, the delicious Hummus Salad is served with warm pita breads as a dip but you can also consider pita sandwich, falafel balls, or the French fries etc as servings.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Serving size: 04
Utensils needed: salad plates, mixing bowls, whisk or spoon, and blender or processor
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas
- 3 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large garlic cloves - crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley - coriander or mint
- ½ cucumber - pared into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 2 carrots -peeled and pared into ribbons or sliced into fine strips
- 1 red onion - thinly sliced
- 85g radishes - sliced
- 85g mixed salad leaves (such as rocket, mizuna and watercress)
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 50g hazelnuts - toasted and chopped
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- 4 sesame pitta breads (or Greek daktyla) - warmed
Keep back 3 tablespoons of the liquid from the can of chickpeas and set it aside.
Drain the remaining chickpeas with a colander and rinse the properly. Place the chickpeas in an electric blender or a food processor and the reserved can liquid.
Add olive oil, tahini, garlic, fresh lemon juice and the herbs into the blender or processor. Now, set it at medium speed and blend or process the ingredients for around 30 seconds or until finely mixed.
Switch off the blender or processor, remove the lid and wait for few seconds until the bubbles on the top surface settle down. Season the mixture to taste and set aside.
Get a large mixing and put the carrots, radish, red onion, cucumber and the fresh salad leaves into it. Scatter the hazelnuts and the rice vinegar and all over the mixture and toss well until all ingredients mix thoroughly.
Take four medium salad plates and mound the salad right into the center of them. Now, spoon the hummus on the top of the salad in plates.
Squeeze some lemon wedges all over the salads or place them on one side of the plates.
Your Hummus Salad is ready, serve it with some warmed pitta breads and enjoy.