Parents teaching kids responsibility for homework can be quite a difficult challenge during school each year sometimes. There is sometimes often late nights spent doing homework that should of been completed hours prior. Here are ten tips for teaching kids responsibility for homework.
1. Let them know that they are expected to get good grades in school. It is important for them to learn and know the proper information in each subject every year otherwise they will probably struggle with higher levels of school later on in life. You can always hire a tutor or have another student help them with their homework in order to help them learn the subject better and also help improve grades at the same time.
2. Have them do their homework each day around the same time. You want them to stay on track of working on their homework on a regular basis during the week. Let them know that doing their homework is the most important to do before anything else. It is a good idea to have them do homework as soon as possible after school so they have more free time afterwards.
3. You can reward them for doing their homework. The reward can be given to them on the weekend or after a certain school day. This will help them feel better about doing homework. They will appreciate the reward and also getting a better grade in school each report card. Talk to the kids to ask them which rewards that they would be interested in each week. After you generate enough ideas then you can decide when they receive the reward each week.
4. Make sure to check their homework. If you let them know that you will check their homework each day then they won’t be able to lie to you about it. You will know for a fact that it is complete or not. You need to check on kids to make sure that the complete their homework. You can even help them with their homework if you have enough time each day. It will make them more eager to complete their homework since they know that you check it to make sure it is done.
5. Make sure to ask their teacher if the kids has been turning in their homework. Sometimes kids don’t turn in homework for various reasons . You want to keep track to make sure that the homework has been turned in to the teachers in every subject. You don’t want them to hide homework from the teachers. Some students feel that certain science projects or art projects or various homework isn’t good enough or they are scared that they might receive a bad grade on it.
6. Teach the kids to always ask for the teacher for any extra assignments in order to earn extra credit in a class. This is another way that the student can improve his or her grade by doing extra homework. Some teachers have extra credit assignments available for whoever asks about it.
7. Offer a extra reward for excellent grades on homework. This is another thing that will motivate the kids to do better on homework. It will encourage them to accomplish more. They will love the idea of being able to earn a extra reward for doing a good job on a homework assignment.
8. Let the kids know that you will go to every parent teacher conference that the school has. This will let them know that they can’t slack off in school and will encourage them to work even more. You want them to know that you are serious about them doing well in school and also making sure that do their homework each day.
9. Tell the kids that they are always welcome to talk to you about any problems that they might have in school. Let them know that it is okay for them to talk to you about any problems that they might have with any teachers. You want them to know that you care about their school.
10. Offer to help them with any science projects or any other school related projects. You want them to know that you are interested in helping them. This will help feel better. They won’t be as stressed over school projects as much.