As the summers heat up, conscientious residents seek out new ways to reduce energy consumption. Small changes in lifestyle and household habits can help keep energy bills at a minimum. Here are five tips for lowering energy costs.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat: According to Energy Star, programmable thermostats can help reduce energy consumption throughout the year because they can be adjusted for nighttime temperatures and time away from home.
- Maintenance cooling systems regularly: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends regular maintenance of cooling and heating systems by a qualified professional to ensure optimal performance.
- Small things matter: According to the National Resources Defense Council, paying attention to the little things that use energy can make a difference, such as turning out lights in rooms that are not in use, and unplugging unused appliances.
- Invest in green appliances: The NRDC also recommends investing in appliances that conserve energy. Going green helps reduce your carbon footprint as well as keep costs down.
- Insulate and seal the cracks: This applies to doors, windows, and ducts. Cracks enable cool air to escape the home, creating more work for your cooling system. Reduce cool air loss by making sure doors and windows are well sealed, and have ducts checked for proper insulation.
With these simple and practical steps, you can lower your energy bill and enjoy your summer. If you have a great idea on how to reduce energy consumption, please comment below. We would love to hear from you.