Review: First Alert Carbon Monoxide Detector

Winter is fast approaching, and many of us will be using heat before long. A major concern with heating your home is carbon monoxide poisoning. I believe everyone should have a carbon monoxide detector installed in their home. If you don’t already have one, I would like to suggest the First Alert carbon monoxide alarm with battery backup-model number CO605. This unit is very inexpensive, it costs about $26.

This First Alert carbon monoxide detector tells you when the batteries need changing. I would suggest everyone pay attention and not become complacent about the low battery signal which will stay lit for up to 8 hours, so if you see the light, be sure to change the batteries. It could be a matter of life and death if you were to ignore the battery prompt.
I purchased my First Alert from Wal-Mart. This device operates on AC or DC power. You just plug it into your wall outlet and in case the power goes out it will continue to function on 2 AA batteries. I prefer this “plug in” unit to the battery only operated units, because I feel it saves the life of the batteries.
This unit has a very loud alarm (84 decibels) that sounds when the detector senses the presence of carbon monoxide in the air. The sound is very startling, for obvious reasons. Many people have died from carbon monoxide poisoning when they slept. I am quite sure you would not be able to sleep though this sound.

When you install the unit, try to mount it in the central part of your house between the living area and the bedrooms. If you have two stories in your home you might want to purchase two detectors. Once installed, you will also want to perform a test of the unit; to prevent the alarm from blasting your ears off you can push the silence button. Be sure to read all your directions on how to install the unit and test it.

This First Alert detector has a carbon monoxide sensor that never has to be replaced, and it comes with a 5 year limited warranty. When you purchase this product, be sure to send in the warranty information to register your purchase, so that if anything goes wrong with it, you may be able to get it replaced or repaired.

I would suggest you purchase the First Alert carbon monoxide alarm with battery back up for obvious reasons. It will provide you with protection whether you have power or not. The unit comes with a mute button that you can push to silence it. The same button is pushed to test it. Be sure to read your directions on how to test and operate it. There is also a remote for this unit (it’s not included), that you just point to the detector and click to silence it if it should sound unnecessarily. You can purchase it separately. The only annoying thing about this alarm is that certain chemicals can set it off. On the rare occasion when I use hair spray the unit goes off, but other than that minor annoyance I am very happy with it. I am very happy with it and I recommend it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


three + = 5