Garth Brooks has been one of my favorite artists for as long as I can remember. Making a list of the top 10 Garth Brooks songs wasn’t easy, because all his songs are great. Garth Brooks is able to sing some of the most beautiful and heartfelt love songs and yet, he can get out there and sing with rock bands like KISS and Aerosmith. Garth Brook’s is far from your average country music
10. Unanswered Prayers: This song made my top ten list because I think everyone can relate to this song. We’ve all said prayers and wished they would come true, only to find that we didn’t really want what we were praying for. So then we thank God, for unanswered prayers. Garth Brooks says it best in this song from his No Fences album:
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you’re talkin’ to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn’t answer doesn’t mean he don’t care
Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
9. The Red Strokes: To me this Garth Brooks song from his In Pieces album is about the true wonders and power of passion. It really puts you in the mood:
Steam on the window, salt in a kiss
Two hearts have never pounded like this
Inspired by a vision
That they can’t command
Erasing the borders
With each brush of a hand
8. The Fever: This song, from Garth Brooks’ Fresh Horses album is just out of control when sung by Garth Brooks and Aerosmith. Garth truly rocks out in this remake.
Fever makes you crazy ’cause it makes no sense
Like runnin’ from your shadow out of self-defense
7. Standing Outside the Fire: To me this Garth Brooks song from his In Pieces album is about taking chances. Something I think we all should do more often, especially when it comes to love.
There’s this love that is burning
Deep in my soul
Constantly yearning to get out of control
Wanting to fly higher and higher
I can’t abide
Standing outside the fire
6. I Don’t Have to Wonder: Country music isn’t complete without songs of lost love. This song from Garth Brooks’ Sevens album has such a great ending and the way Garth Brooks sings this song; it makes you truly feel the pain the guy in this song is going through.
Well the angels sang like thunder
As I felt myself go under
Now I don’t have to wonder anymore
5. Ireland: Being part Irish, this song would of course make my top 5. Garth Brooks’ voice is so beautiful and strong in this song from his Fresh Horses album. The instrumental parts of this song are amazing. The first part of the song is so peaceful and then kicks into high gear and begins to rock.
Ireland I am coming home
I can see your rolling fields of green
And fences made of stone
I am reaching out won’t you take my hand
I’m coming home Ireland
4. Main Street: This song was performed by Garth Brooks during his Chris Gaines days, which were very short lived. I’m not really sure why his Chris Gaines thing didn’t work, it was his rock side brought to life, but I guess people like for him to be rock and country at the same time. This is from Garth Brooks’ (I mean Chris Gaines) album Chris Gaines.
Never did the things I thought I would,
Woulda left just didn’t know I could,
Things don’t work out like they should,
It ain’t for better, but it’s for good…
3. Pushing Up Daisies: Now we get to a great depressing country/rock song that Garth Brooks did on his album Scarecrow. I love this song and it has so many great lyrics it was hard to pick out just a couple.
My mother died but somehow she keeps living
She’ll never cease to amaze me
Now Dad turns his back on each day that he’s given
Because he’d rather be pushing up daisies
2. The Storm: Yet another depressing song, but really isn’t that what 90% of country music is all about? That’s why I love it. This song also came from the Garth Brooks album Scarecrow. It’s about a woman whose husband has left her and now she must learn to go on.
She’s finding out the answers don’t change nothing at all
It’s time that she stopped searching for whose to blame or what went wrong
The only thing for certain is he’s gone; she’s got to move on
1. Why Ain’t I Running: Yet another song from Garth Brooks’ album, Scarecrow. I love this song. One day you just wake up and realize you’ve found the love of your life and realize that you didn’t use to do the things you now do. There are a couple lyrics from this Garth Brooks song that I must share:
Once happiness was only
Whenever I was on my own
So now why do I feel lonely
Any time that I’m alone
No, they’ve never built a wall that high
Or made a chain that strong
And God ain’t never made a place
I felt like I belong
I guess it’s plain to see. If you haven’t listened to any Garth Brooks music before, the album Scarecrow is great album to start with. Garth Brooks may no longer go on tours, or put out albums every couple of years, but his voice will carry on and on and on.