Importance of Internet in Education
Students and educators now have instant access to a virtually endless library of information. The Internet has made it possible for educators to instantly receive the latest updates in their subjects and share multimedia resources with their students.
Use of the internet has not only made our lives easier than ever before but has also played an important role in the development of educational systems, especially distance learning programmes.
The whole world has become more of a community, with various efficient modes of communication like emails, instant messaging and video transmission over the internet. All of these means also hold immense potential for educational use.
Education is basically the transference of information, and the internet acts as a great medium for it.
How Education Relies On Internet Technology to Advance
- The Internet gives both students and educators access to vast educational resources like study plans, presentations and lectures from institutions around the world.
- Online education provides resources for students who don’t normally have the opportunity to access an educational institution. Students who have limited income and must work full time or those who have health constraints can attend high school or post-secondary school online.
- The Internet provides students of any age the ability to collaborate with others, answer questions and discuss topics in a group setting. Amazing projects in science, software development and organizations like Wikipedia and Guttenberg are maintained by volunteers and make a worldwide impact on human knowledge.
- The Internet allows students and educators to access multimedia content that is not possible to view through other media. Students can learn about their subjects by browsing videos, pictures and audio. This allows students to gain a much deeper perspective into what they are studying. For example, a biology student may know a whale is a large mammal, but until he sees a video of a blue whale next to a diver, he may not fully appreciate just how big the animal is.
How to use Internet for Education
- Typically you should bookmark important websites which have content related to your subject. You should also get a printer for printing out important sheets and diagrams and then have them copied for students.
- If you are a student, you should be referring to sites like Wikipedia and Britannica. However, it is always recommended that you complete a thorough research and don’t just rely on the information acquired from these websites.
- Software like Skype for video calling and group calls is also recommended for distant learning and sharing multimedia files and data.
- Ideally, you should also have a firewall or antivirus installed on your computer to protect it from viruses and malware. Never visit un-trusted sites and be cautious submitting your contact information anywhere on the web.