If you had a successful basketball career at the college or high school level, but do not quite have the skills to play professionally in the United States, you may want to consider taking your game overseas.
Almost every country in the world has a professional basketball league, so there is no reason to let your dream die if you are not good enough to compete in the United States. If you are interested in playing professional basketball overseas there are a couple of tips that you can follow in order to make your dream come true.
1. Make sure that you have the credentials and skills to compete at the professional level. Even though the level of play overseas is not as good as it is in the United States, you will still need to be able to perform at a high level.
2. Research which countries and which leagues are the best overseas. Countries such as Italy and Germany offer top notch competition, as well as several different leagues. Lower level leagues in other countries such as Ireland and England are often times easier to break into.
3. Make sure that you know the rules for each league that you would like to try to compete in. Each league has different rules regarding how many foreign players they can have on each team.
4. Keep in mind that at this point in time international travel can sometimes be dangerous. Countries such as Turkey have great basketball leagues, but you will have to compromise your safety in order to play their.
5. Put together an impressive resume and highlight video to send out to prospective teams. By doing this you will be able to showcase your talents to teams from all over the world. Remember, these teams are thousands of miles away and do not have the money to come visit you personally.
6. If you are having a hard time finding interested teams you may want to hire an agent to aid you in the process. This is one of the best ways to ensure that you get hooked up with a good team. Keep in mind that agents will take a share of your contracted money to cover their fees.