Baking Soda Ideas
Baking soda naturally traps smells and is a safe compound for use anywhere in the home. Because it is edible you do not have do worry about the effects it may have on young children or pets. Here are some ways you can use baking soda to get rid of unwanted smells:
- Mix baking soda with water in a spray bottle. If you want to add a small amount of a favorite scent two or three drops is more than enough. Shake the mixture until the baking soda is dissolved. Put the spray bottle on the fine mist setting and use as you would use Febreeze or other odor removing products.
- If you have a smell that just doesn’t seem to go away, your carpet may be the culprit. Baking soda is a great way to get rid of smells in carpet, and it also cleans at the same time. Put baking soda in a container with a lid. Poke some holes in the lid so that you can use it like a shaker. You may want to add a couple drops of a favorite scent. If your carpets need a good cleaning you can also add a couple teaspoons of table salt. Sprinkle the baking soda onto the carpet and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. The longer it is allowed to sit, the better chance you will get the smell out. Then vacuum up the baking soda.
Like baking soda vinegar is non-toxic and safe to use with children and pets. It does carry a strong scent, but the vinegar smell evaporates quickly taking other odors along with it. Here are some ways vinegar can be used to get rid of odors:
- Put some in a spray bottle and use it to wipe down counters, the fridge, stove or any other area that may be carrying an odor you don’t like.
- Leave out a small amount of vinegar for a few hours and it will get rid of an unwanted smell.
- Add a small amount of vinegar to your wash every so often. It helps pull odors out of clothes better than any detergent.
Citrus and Vanilla Extract
Both of these usually on hand kitchen items are great at removing odors. Here are a few ways they can be used:
- Put any citrus peel in a microwave safe bowl. Put in enough water to cover the peel. Put it in the microwave and microwave it on high for two to three minutes. This will remove odors from the microwave and the steam will make it easy to clean out the microwave.
- Put some citrus peel down the garbage disposal to rid the sink of unwanted smells.
- Put vanilla extract on cotton balls and let them sit out. This is especially effective in rooms where someone has smoked or to get rid of the smell of litter boxes.
- Both vanilla or citrus juice can be added to baking soda and hot water to make a nice smelling air freshener spray.