Fashion consists of many sought after trends that last a couple of weeks to decades. Some fashion trends can stand the test of time, like the little black dress. Others should be left in the closet and never brought out again. Leggings are one of those trends. The 1980s made the leggings famous and popular with young people. Those of us who grew up in the 80s look back at the pictures and cringe. Thank goodness the days of side ponytails, leg warmers, and leggings are gone. Well, not exactly. Unfortunately, leggings have come back with a vengeance, and middle school
girls to grown women are sporting this unwelcome return of a trend thought to be dead and gone.
The following are the top ten reasons why you should not buy leggings:
1. Leggings are partially (or mostly depending on the brand) made of lycra, aka spandex. Lycra is not a forgiving fabric. Any bulge, crinkle, or smidge of cellulite is completely noticeable. Even the thinnest of girls, like Nicole Richie, can not wear leggings and look cute. Leggings are not flattering for women of any size, let alone the young girls who still have incredibly fast metabolisms.
2. If you have not been blessed with a tall body, then leggings are definitely not for you. Leggings are footless tights, so they do not elongate, but instead cut off the leg right above the ankle. Being very tall may defeat this problem, but the average height of women in the United States is 5’4″.
3. Comfort is not one of the luxuries that leggings provide. They are very tight and can cut off circulation.
4. Leggings can easily ruin an outfit. Picture a beautiful flowing cherry red dress that you put on to go to an elegant evening party. Your hair looks ravishing and your accessories could not be more perfect. Then you make the biggest mistake possible. Your friend suggests that you pair leggings with that stunning dress. (That person is no longer your friend). You show up at the party and you look like a bag lady. The mood is ruined and your once effortless fashion sense is now the horrible mess that every person is laughing at.
5. Leggings retain heat. They are not conducive to all seasons. They are marketed to be an item for the summer as well as the cold months, but in fact, they create more sweat and discomfort.
6. Long frumpy clothing is usually worn over leggings to hide the fat that I mentioned earlier. The concoction often makes a woman look heavier than she actually is. The illusion of a slim figure is gone.
7. Leggings look like a thing of the past. You look like you are trying to relive an old trend and you are not up to date with current fashion.
8. Leggings must be worn with flat shoes. High heels make the leg look more toned than when wearing a flat shoe. Leggings limit the possibilities for shoe choices.
9. Color options are also limited. Leggings are mostly sold in black and do not offer a wide array of choices. For example, you can’t look good while wearing black leggings with a brown top. Well, leggings with anything look bad, but brown and black are the epitome of a poor fashion choice.
10. Finally, leggings are extremely overpriced. You are paying the same price of pants for glorified tights.
If you want to take the plunge and purchase a pair of leggings, be my guest, but you can’t say that I didn’t warn you. For those of you that agree with me, I appreciate you doing your part in ending the return of leggings.