I was introduced to altar building when I began researching my Native American roots. In time I started to create my own altars in my home and found that they allowed me many opportunities which I would not have experienced otherwise. The following benefits are why I build altars, and how they can change your life.
1. It allows you the individual to have a direct connection with the divine, however you choose to view the divine.
2. You learn new and creative ways to view situations in your life.
3. Building altars is a positive way to actually do something about those things in your life which may be negatively influencing you. That connection with the divine is always a good thing.
4. It helps you to have a spiritual center in your life even if you don’t participate in a form of organized religion. However, you can still build altars even if you do. It will still enrich your life.
5. Creating altars is an art form. Contrary to what some may think, figuring out what to put on your altar in order to garner the results you want takes time, thought and an understanding of symbolism. Maybe you think you can’t draw, paint or even write, but anybody can build a beautiful altar.
6. That brings me to one of my most favorite things about creating altars, and one of its benefits; you gain a very large mental library of symbols. You learn colors and their ancient meanings, what animals symbolized for indigenous peoples and many other characters. You can take it a step further and learn ancient forms of symbology such as the tarot deck if you are so inclined.
7. Building altars is meditative and relaxing. Another benefit in this high stress world we live in.
8. If you are a crafter, creating items for your altar is another way to relax and do something for you.
9. Altars create a spiritual center in your home and create positive energy and flow of energy throughout your home.
10. Altars are one way to introduce children to spirituality and the divine, and also to allow them to actively participate by helping you with the building if they so choose.
As you can see there are many benefits to both building altars and having them in your home. It is my hope that many more people will take advantage of this wonderful tool for spiritual living which we all have access to.