Being a visually impaired person I find it hard to always know the color of the items I have around the house. Yarn and clothing are particularly important colors to know so when I saw the add for the Voice-It-All – USA.
“The Ultimate 3-in-One Identifier!!” With its color identifier and money identifier included on the Maxi aids web site I was quick to give it a try.
The Product description says it has the following features so you can understand my interest in this product.
Voice-It-All – The first and only unit to combine 3 talking functions in one easy to use product. Money Identifier – Reads US currency bill dominations: $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100. Simply slide currency in money slot – push 1 button and denomination is read back to you in a loud clear voice. Color Identifier – Place Voice-It-All color reader on the surface of an object and it will easily identify most colors in a loud clear voice. Voice Recorder – Convenient easy to use digital voice recorder – stores over 2 hours of information. Earphone jack for privacy. Volume control. Auto shut off. Lightweight
And Portable – measures only 4 3/4 inches x 3 1/8 inches x 1 inches. Uses 3 AAA batteries (not included). List Price: $349.95
There is also an optional Leather case available for this product. At an additional cost of $24.95
I was very dissatisfied with my purchase and for the following reasons.
1. The product is not very sturdy. It doesn’t appear to be constructed in a manner that would hold up to regular use.
2. It is rather unwieldy and is hard to find the correct controls for the feature you want to use.
3. The money identifier is not accurate on a consistent basis and the fact that the bill has to be placed into the machine many times before you get it to identify the denomination is extremely frustrating. I grew tired quickly of it saying “don’t know” every time I tried to check a bill.
4. The voice recorder voice is unclear and the overall synthetic voice is sometimes difficult to understand. The voice recorder controls are confusing to even someone with access technology. Experience…
5. The color identifier is very inaccurate as it has repeated told me my guidedog is green.
The only way I could get it to work with any accuracy is if I was in a brightly lighted area and held it at the perfect angle. I most certainly wouldn’t trust matching socks to this device.
6. If it is possible to operate this device in a timely manner I haven’t found it. I imagined using it to help with a garage sale or maybe take a trip to a flea market. No customer is going to stand there for 20 minutes while he repeatedly hears “Don’t Know” about his payment.
7. The shutter control that switches the device from money identifier to color identifier is not marked clearly. It is left up to your memory for this setting.
8. The volume control is difficult to locate and is even more difficult to operate.
9. The battery control flips open way too easily and is difficult to return to the proper position.
10. Too expensive. The original cost was $349.95 but even at the reduced price of $269.95 I would not advise anyone to purchase this product.
On its web site Maxi aids does state that they are working to upgrade the Voice-It-All – USA. And the upgrades will include the new U.S. bills. Let just hope that it also includes the other features as the overall idea is one that I would like to see come to pass…