Cleaning your refrigerator can be a daunting task. Have you ever tried to clean the mildew that builds up under the drawers in your refrigerator? What do you use to clean it? Well, I have some tips on how to clean mildew from the bottom of your refrigerator. Following these simple tips can help you the next time you go to clean your refrigerator.
1) The first thing you can use to get that mildew up is Ã?Â½ part bleach and Ã?Â½ part water. Simple right? Just remember when you go to clean your fridge using bleach and water, you remove all of your food from the fridge so it doesn’t absorb the bleach smell. Bleach is great for killing molds and it’s cheap. However, make sure you rinse your refrigerator several times after cleaning with bleach. Before putting any food back in the fridge make sure your fridge is dry.
2) Another effective thing you can use on mildew is toothpaste with whitener in it. Use an old tooth brush to scrub the bottom of your fridge. Once you have the toothpaste spread on the bottom, let it sit for about a half an hour. After a half an hour, use some warm water with clean cloths to clean up all of the toothpaste residue. You may need to rinse several times to get all of the toothpaste up.
3) If you own a steam cleaner you can also use that to clean the bottom of your fridge. Steam cleaners work by heating water up which allows the steam and water to kill off the bacteria that causes mold to grow. You will need to have several towels handy to clean up the excess water created by the steam cleaner. Do not use the steam cleaner on any of your seals.
4) Using Ã?Â½ part hydrogen peroxide and Ã?Â½ part water is an excellent way to get mildew off the bottom of your refrigerator. Let the hydrogen/water solution sit in the bottom of your refrigerator for one half hour. After the half hour is up come back and clean the solution off the bottom and rinse. Again this tip is cheap and it doesn’t have the strong odor that bleach has. Make sure to dry your refrigerator before placing the food back in your refrigerator.
5) Cleaning your refrigerator with a cleaner like comet, water and a sponge with two sides (a sponge side and a scrub side) is also a great way to clean out your refrigerator. When you use the scrub side of the sponge try not to scrub too hard or it may scratch the bottom of your refrigerator. Comet can be bought at any drugstore or large chain store like Wal-mart and it’s cheap.
Now that you have some tips on how to clean up that mildew, the next time you clean your refrigerator shouldn’t be such a nightmare. Just remember that when you are cleaning with ANY solutions mentioned above to take all the food out and place it in a cooler. You don’t want to have spoiled food once you are done cleaning your refrigerator out. Also, please use some cleaning gloves. They are inexpensive and your hands will be protected from all the chemicals used to clean that mildew out.