Simplified Renewal Application Process
If you are eligible, you can expedite your renewal process. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- You must have been 16 years of age the last time you renewed your passport;
- Your name must be the same as it was on page 2 of your previous passport;
- You must also submit a previous Canadian passport that;
- was a regular (blue) passport that was valid for 5 years
- has not been damaged, reported lost or stolen
- was issued to you in Canada and had a validity period of at most 1 year, or
- was issued outside of Canada at any time after April 30, 2006
If you do not meet the eligibility requirements but have a passport for renewal, the paperwork is more detailed and has a longer processing time. Both forms are available in Step 2.
In order to successfully renew a passport, you require the following:
- all pages of the application must have been signed within the past 12 months;
- two identical passport photos
- your old passport (must have been issued within the past 5-6 years)
- the required fees and all renewal paperwork
The forms, photo requirements and fee information can be found below.
Simplified Renewal Application
Adult Renewal Application
Child Renewal Application
How to Apply
Using the form above that best applies to you, you must fill it out and provide the other supporting documentation and photos. The application can be done in any one of the following ways:
A list of Ottawa’s passport service locations is available here.
By Mail (in Canada and U.S.)
Application renewals should be mailed to the following address:
Passport Canada Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
Gatineau QC K1A 0G3 CANADA
The fees charged for application renewals ranges from $87-$92 CAD for adults and less for children depending on the number of pages.
The benefit of applying in person is a much shorter processing time (10 days as compared to 20 for mailed applications). There are also expedited services for those requiring a passport on short notice. Extra changes apply.