How to Report Domestic Violence in London

Domestic violence is explained as abuse (psychological, physical and/or emotional) inflicted by one partner on another. It is thought that only females are a victim of domestic violence but this notion can’t be far from the truth because, albeit, the percentage of women victims is higher, but men have also reported to suffer from domestic abuse. According to the Met police of London’s website, there were a total number of 46, 554 reported cases of domestic violence in 2011. There are times when even the victims themselves are unaware of the abuse they are going through because of their own denial, or a failure to identify passive aggressive behavior and subtle emotional exploitation shown by their partners. However, it is immensely important to recognize the abuse and abuser before finally seeking help for the victim. There are many ways you can do that, and this article will be your guide on how to report domestic violence in London.


  • 1

    After domestic abuse has been identified by the victim or somebody near them, it is mandatory not to delay seeking help any longer than necessary. The first step towards that goal is getting out of that situation/house and going away from the abuser to stop any subsequent attempts that may be made. The met police should immediately be informed at the following numbers:
    In case of emergency: 999
    In case of non-emergency: 101

  • 2

    After the police has been informed and the victim has been afforded safety, either by moving to a safe house provided by the police, moving in with friends/family, or installing extra locks in the current home, then the next step is to look for a good law firm that will strengthen the victim’s case against his/her abuser. Following are some law firms that deal with domestic abuse cases;

    Bross Bennett LLP

    Henry Crisp - Crisp and Co

    Lloyd Platt & Co

  • 3

    Ideally the victims should stay in the protection of their friends/family after reporting the abuse, or if they’re living alone, keep their house safe and request additional surveillance by the police (if necessary) but if they are shelter-less, they can seek refuge in protection homes provided by the state and/or different NGOs. Some of them are:

    Women's Pioneer Housing Ltd

    Hestia Housing & Support

    Metropolitan Housing Trust

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

6 × = eighteen