It was opened in September 1740. The name that was given to this hospital at that time was The London Infirmary. In 1748, authorities renamed the hospital to The London Hospital. It celebrated its 250th anniversary in 1990, and then name was changed to The Royal London Hospital.
In 1740 when this hospital was established, the initial patients that came were given treatment in a House near Moorfields. The Hospital was then shifted to Prescot street in May 1741, and then later on in 1757 it was permanently shifted to Whitechapel.
The very first medical college was established in 1785, and it remains part of The Royal London Hospital but later it was merged with St Bartholomews Hospital Medical College in 1995. Then in 2007, the college was again affiliated with the Royal London Hospital and it got its new name Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry.
The current Nursing and Midwifery school was a result of merging two schools from St Bartholomews Hospital medical college and the Royal London Hospital nursing school. The school got its name as St Bartholomew School of Nursing and Midwifery. Before the merger, the school was working under The Royal London Hospital’s body and was known as The Princess Alexandra College of Nursing and Midwifery.