Couscous is a traditional African food and constitutes an important place in the diet of Semolina people and is mostly served with broth. Couscous is widely used in salads and is well-received every time it is served. A well-known couscous salad is ‘Chicken and Couscous salad’, which doesn’t take much time to get prepared and offers a delectable taste. This easy to prepare salad is a source of Proteins, selenium and potassium and therefore loved by health conscious people.
One can use it both as a main dish as well as side dish. Besides that if you're a working mom, it can be a quick solution to odd-time between-the-meals hunger pangs.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 4
Utensils: saucepan, spoon or stirrer, large bowl
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (5.7-ounce) box uncooked couscous
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup diced radishes (about 3 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Boil the broth in a pot / saucepan and slowly pour in couscous while stirring. Take it away from the heat, cover and let it stay for about 5 minutes.
Now transfer it into a large bowl after it cools down. Now add chicken, cucumber, radishes, onions, pine nuts and parsley and toss and shake gently to mix or combine it.
For dressing, add vinegar along with the dressing-ingredients and keep fluffing. Now sprinkle this dressing over the salad. Your delicious ‘Chicken and Couscous salad’ is ready to be served.