Stand up or sit up first
It is almost impossible to burp while you’re lying down. If you want to make yourself burp, make sure you’re standing or at least sitting in an upright position. This will help the gases that are trapped with your food to travel up with ease.
Take carbonated drinks
Heavily carbonated drinks, or 'fizzy drinks' naturally induce burping, as you might have experienced yourself. It helps if the drink is warm though, since its more fizzy that way. These drinks typically add more gas to your stomach, which brings the other gases up to your esophageal sphincter and out of the system in the form of a burp.
Another great way of burping on command is by closing the mouth and nostrils so that additional air is not inhaled as you breathe. Exhale while swallowing your saliva and the exhaled air, which will help provoke a burp.
Here's how you do it:
- Close your mouth (empty) first and block your nostrils (with your fingers)
- Now you need to get ready to swallow - or make the swallowing motion (even without any food in your mouth)
- You will feel the air inside your mouth being swallowed, resulting in a gulping sound
- You'll feel the urge to push that air out of your windpipe, which will result in a burping sound.
- The more air you swallow, the longer and louder your burp will be.
Have your back rubbed
Rubbing the middle of your back and exerting pressure stimulates the air that is trapped inside. This is another way that helps force the gases to move up and come out in the form of a burp.