We all want a clean, organized, fresh smelling home. There are many hints and tips for cleaning your home and having it smell fresh. I have experimented with many things over the years and have found some tips that work time and time again.
1. If you have crayon marks on your walls get a damp cloth and dip it into some baking soda. Rub the cloth on the crayon marks, be sure to put some elbow grease into it.
2. Permanent marker on your appliances or counter tops. Pour some rubbing alcohol onto the mark and wipe clean with a paper towel. This works great for the ink from receipts too.
3. When cleaning glass or windows that are double sided use vertical strokes on one side and horizontal on the other. This will help you tell where the streaks are. Also a solution of half rubbing alcohol and half water works great for getting rid of streaks and avoid cleaning windows on a sunny day. the heat will cause them to dry too quickly which can result in streaks.
4. Before putting a light bulb in your lamp or ceiling light spray it with a bit of your favorite perfume. This will create a lovely scent when the light is turned on.
5. Place fabric softener sheets in your dresser drawers and in your closets this will keep your clothes and linens smelling fresh fro several weeks. I also put a fabric softener sheet under my trash bag to help keep the trash can from smelling of unpleasant odors.
6. To get your favorite candles to last longer put them in the freezer for at least 3 hours prior to lighting them. Also be sure to trim the wick. Now you will be able to enjoy the scent of your candle longer.
7. Dusty artificial flowers? Pour some salt into a paper bag along with the flowers. Shake vigorously , the salt will remove the dust from your flowers and they will look like new again.
8. Burnt on food in your skillet or pans. Not a problem simply add a drop or two of dish washing detergent add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and bring to a boil on your stove top.
9. Use your favorite air freshener to clean mirrors. It leaves them shiny and adds a lovely smell to the room.
10. Worried about stains in your tupper ware from tomato sauces, spray them with non-stick cooking spray first it will help prevent any staining.
11. To clean your toilet simply drop in two Alika-seltzer tablets wait about 20 minutes then clean with the toilet brush, flush, and you have a sparkling toilet.
12. Use empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls to store appliance cords. This will keep them neat and out of the way. You can also label the roll so you know which cord is which.
13. To keep your drains free of clogs pour one cup of baking soda followed by one cup of white vinegar down the drain. After an hour flush with warm water. This should get rid of most build up in your drains and freshen them to keep an unpleasant odor from occurring. You may also do this in your tub and shower drains.
14. To keep your bathroom free of mildew once a month spray your ceiling, shower, and tub with a combination of half hydrogen peroxide and half water.
15. To clean and deodorize your kitchen and bathroom apply baking soda to a damp sponge and wipe down surfaces.
16. Combine 3/4 Cup baking soda, 2 Tbsp. corn starch, and 1/4 cup perfumed talcum powder. Sprinkle on your carpets or rugs and let set about 10 minutes and vacuum.
17. If your home is cluttered sort through things and donate items that you no longer use and throw away any junk. Use shelving and baskets. Label baskets so you know what is in them and store them on the shelving.
18. Keep important documents in folders that are clearly labeled of what they contain in a filing cabinet. I also recommend putting them in an order of either alphabetical or importance.
I hope these tip are useful for keeping your home clean, well organized, and smelling fresh. Enjoy your clean home!