I love banana bread, and have been making it for three years now. I have experimented with a few recipes, and finally made my own delicious and healthier recipe. Let me know what you think! (Please note I have used a few organic ingredients here and have found that these ingredients really make a better tasting bread.)
Linsey’s Fabulous Banana Bread
One and a half cups whole wheat flour-I like King Author brand.
One and a half teaspoons baking powder
Quarter teaspoon baking soda
Half-one teaspoon ground cinnamon (depending on your taste)
1-2 teaspoons vanilla (depending on your taste)
4 medium organic bananas (I find that yellow bananas with a few spots are better than all brown bananas.)
1 organic egg-let’s support cage free animals!
Half cup organic cane sugar
A pinch of salt
Quarter cup natural honey
Quarter cup vegetable oil
A handful of walnuts
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix together.
3. In a separate bowl mash the bananas. Its ok to leave some chunks it’s good in the bread. Add the egg, oil, sugar, honey, and vanilla. Crush the walnuts in your hand and add to the mixture. Mix.
4. Combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients: mix until moist.
5. Grease a bread pan with some butter. Take a paper towel to smooth the butter all around the pan to prevent stick. I do not like the non stick pans out there-that stuff can’t be good for you. I recommend Pyrex or any other oven safe glassware.
5. Add the batter to the pan. Use a spatula to get the remainders on the bowl.
6. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least ten minutes before removing the bread. If the bread is sticking use a knife to cut around the edges and then lightly tap on the bottom.