Easy Zucchini, Tomato, and Cheese Tart
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 70 mins
Yield: 4 - 6 people
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
5 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- Bring the puff pastry at room temperature. Take a large skillet and cook onions and garlic in it for about 5 mins. Now stir in the zucchini; do so for the next five minutes. At this point, the zucchini will start to become soft. All this cooking has to be done on medium heat. Now increase the temperature to medium high and add in drained tomatoes. Cook the mixture until the juices have evaporated and zucchini becomes tender.
- Now butter a 9 inch tart pan, and fit in the puff pastry after rolling it into an 11 inch square. Remove the pastry bits which emerge out of the pan. Now refrigerate the crust for 15 mins (uncovered).
- The next step is to preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Take a large bowl and beat the eggs in it. Now add cheese, salt, pepper, and cooled vegetables and slowly add on the mixture to the cooled tart pan. The baking process follows, and lasts for about 20-30 minutes. The cooking indicator is that the pastry surface is brown or when you insert a knife it comes out clean.
- Separate the outer rim of the tart pan and let the dish cool on the racks for about 20 minutes. The dish is now ready to be served.
Zucchini Tomato side dish with bacon bits
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 0 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Yield: 2 people
1 medium zucchini, sliced
2 to 3 thin slices red onion, separated into rings
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 can (5-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
1 medium tomato, cut into 8 wedges
1/8 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon real bacon bits
Take a large skillet and sauté zucchini, onion and salt over medium heat. Do it for approximately five minutes. Now slowly stir in the V8 juice, tomato, basil and pepper, and cook for two more minutes to make the zucchini slightly tenderer. Now sprinkle the cheese and the bacon bits to provide finishing touches.