How to Sue for Wrongful Termination

During professional life, you may find yourself in a situation when your employer may target you, breach a contract and terminate you. So, what will you do? Will you shout and fight? Will you just quit while keeping quiet? You must know that in almost every country law enables an employ to sue the employer for wrong termination.

Taking such matters in court will not only make possible for you to get justice but it will also save many others’ future. However, you will have to keep couple of important things in mind while filing a petition against the employer.


  • 1

    Check the merit of your case:

    The first and the foremost thing you should do is to check your prospects. You must review the decision with an unbiased mental approach. If you think that you were shouldering the responsibilities but your employer terminated you despite of doing the job professionally then you should not hesitate in taking this issue to court.

  • 2

    Know company’s policy:

    You should also read your company’s policy. Check whether they have rules about this or not. You should also review your contract as that document will be your prime weapon to defend yourself in this legal war.

  • 3

    Read your state’s law:

    Almost every country has laws to protect employees or labours’ rights. You should do some research and find a relevant law. Visit public libraries or just browse internet. There are countless online libraries also where you can not only find a relevant book but they will also provide you free legal assistance.

  • 4

    Get a lawyer:

    Now, when you are sure that they have terminated you wrongly, it’s time to find a lawyer. This can be an uphill task to find a professional and honest attorney. If you do not have any prior experience then conduct an in-house survey. Your relatives will definitely suggest a good name. However, you may seek help from internet as almost every professional law firm or lawyer has an official website or page on the social networking site.

  • 5

    Make your file:

    After hiring an attorney, you should discuss your case in detail and prepare a file to submit in the court. Make sure that you are going in with some solid evidence otherwise the judicial officer will dismiss your plea immediately.

  • 6

    File the petition:

    Last but not the least; you should file the petition against your employer. This litigation will take some time so you must have patience.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

seven + 6 =