It is the most watched sporting event in the world. More than 100 million people worldwide watch the Super Bowl
every year. How much do you know about Super Bowl history and trivia? Who was the only player to be named MVP of a Super Bowl in his last game as a player? Which teams have won the most games, lost the most? Who passed for the most yards in a Super Bowl, and who rushed for the most yards? Take this quiz and see how much you know!
1. He was the only player to be named MVP of a Super Bowl in his last game as a player. He led his team to victory.
a. Denver Bronco Quarterback John Elway in Super Bowl XXXIII.
b. New York Jets Quarterback Joe Namath in Super Bowl III.
c. San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Joe Montana in Super Bowl XXIV.
d. San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Steve Young in Super Bowl XXIX.
2. The Pittsburgh Steelers just won their fifth Super Bowl this year in Super Bowl XL. The team tied what two other teams for the most Super Bowl championships?
a. The New England Patriots and Dallas Cowboys.
b. The Washington Redskins and San Francisco 49ers.
c. The San Francisco 49ers and Dallas Cowboys.
3. These three teams have lost the most Super Bowls-four each.
a. The Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals, and Minnesota Vikings.
b. The Minnesota Vikings, Buffalo Bills, and Denver Broncos.
c. The Minnesota Vikings, Philadelphia Eagles, and Buffalo Bills.
d. The Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, and Cincinnati Bengals.
4. This team has appeared in the most Super Bowls-eight.
a. New England Patriots.
b. Pittsburgh Steelers.
c. San Francisco 49ers.
d. Dallas Cowboys.
5. Only one team has won four Super Bowls in a decade.
a. Pittsburgh Steelers-the 1970’s.
b. The Dallas Cowboys-the 1990’s.
c. The Denver Broncos-the 1990’s.
d. The New England Patriots-the current decade.
6. Only two teams have won three Super Bowls in four years. The two teams and the decade they won the Super Bowls in are:
a. The Dallas Cowboys (1980’s) and New England Patriots (current decade).
b. The Dallas Cowboys (1990’s) and New England Patriots (1990’s).
c. The Dallas Cowboys (1990’s) and New England Patriots (current decade).
7. This team scored the most points in a quarter-35-in a winning effort.
a. The Washington Redskins, Super Bowl XXI, second quarter, against the
b. The Washington Redskins, Super Bowl XXI, third quarter, against the
c. The Washington Redskins, Super Bowl XXI, second quarter, against the
d. The Washington Redskins, Super Bowl XXI, third quarter, against the
8. Only one team has ever appeared in four straight Super Bowls.
a. Pittsburgh Steelers.
b. Dallas Cowboys.
c. Miami Dolphins.
d. Buffalo Bills.
9. Only one team has scored eight touchdowns in a winning effort.
a. Dallas against Buffalo in Super Bowl XXVII.
b. San Francisco against San Diego in Super Bowl XXIX.
c. Tampa Bay against Oakland in Super Bowl XXXVII.
d. San Francisco against Denver in Super Bowl XXIV.
10. The most consecutive wins by any team in a Super Bowl has been:
11. This Super Bowl set the record for the most points by both teams.
a. Super Bowl XXIX with 75 points: San Francisco 49, San Diego 26.
b. Super Bowl XXVII with 75 points: Dallas 49, Buffalo 26.
c. Super Bowl XXXVII with 75 points: Tampa Bay 49, Oakland 26.
12. This Super Bowl set the record for the most combined touchdowns by both teams.
a. Super Bowl XIII: (9) Pittsburgh 5, Dallas 4
b. Super Bowl XXIX: (10) San Francisco 7, San Diego 3
c. Super Bowl XXVII: (9) Dallas 7, San Diego 2
d. Super Bowl XXVII: (9) Tampa Bay 6, Oakland 3
13. This Super Bowl set the record for the most rushing yards by a winning team in the Super Bowl with 280.
a. Super Bowl XXII Washington against Denver
b. Super Bowl XVII Washington against Miami.
c. Super Bowl XI Oakland against Minnesota.
14. Two winning teams have tied for the record for the most rushing touchdowns in victory with four.
a. Chicago against New England in Super Bowl XX and Denver against
Green Bay in Super Bowl XXXII.
b. Green Bay against Kansas City in Super Bowl I and Miami
against Minnesota in Super Bowl VIII.
15. This team set the record for the most total yards gained in a Super Bowl with 602.
a. San Francisco against Miami in Super Bowl XIX.
b. Washington against Denver in Super Bowl XXII.
16. This coach coached in the most Super Bowls.
a. Dan Reeves.
b. Don Shula.
c. Tom Landry.
d. Bud Grant.
17. This coach coached the most winning teams in the Super Bowl.
a. Chuck Noll.
b. Bill Walsh.
c. Joe Gibbs.
d. Bill Belichick.
18. This player scored the most points in the Super Bowl, for a career with 48, with eight touchdowns.
a. Emmitt Smith for Dallas.
b. Jerry Rice for San Francisco.
c. Franco Harris for Pittsburgh.
d. Roger Craig for San Francisco.
19. These players tied for the record for the most touchdowns, 3, in one game.
a. Roger Craig for San Francisco, Jerry Rice for San Francisco,
Don Chandler for Green Bay, Terrell Davis for Denver.
b. Ricky Watters for San Francisco, Roger Craig for San Francisco,
Jerry Rice for San Francisco, Terrell Davis for Denver.
c. Kevin Butler for Chicago, Roger Craig for San Francisco,
Jerry Rice for San Francisco, Terrell Davis for Denver.
20. This player holds the career record for the most rushing yards for a career in the Bowl, with 354 in four games.
a. Larry Csonka for the Miami Dolphins.
b. Emmitt Smith for the Dallas Cowboys
c. Franco Harris for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
21. This player holds the record for the most yards rushing in one game.
a. Timmy Smith for the Washington Redskins against Denver in Super Bowl
b. Marcus Allen for the Oakland Raiders against Washington in Super Bowl
c. John Riggins for Washington against the Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl
22. Willie Parker of the Pittsburgh Steelers ran for 75 yards and a touchdown in the recent Super Bowl XL. He broke the record of:
a. Tom Matte for the Baltimore Colts against the New York Jets for 74 yards in
Super Bowl III.
b. Timmy Smith for the Washington Redskins for 74 yards and a touchdown
against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXII.
c. Marcus Allen for 74 yards and a touchdown against Washington in
Super Bowl XVIII.
23. This player has the most rushing touchdowns for a career.
a. Emmitt Smith, Dallas, five.
b. Franco Harris, Pittsburgh, four.
c. Thurman Thomas, Buffalo, four.
d. John Elway, Denver, four.
24. This player set the record rushing with three touchdowns in one game.
a. Elijah Pitts for the Green Bay Packers against the Kansas City Chiefs
in Super Bowl I.
b. Larry Csonka for the Miami Dolphins against the Washington
Redskins in Super Bowl VIII.
c. Franco Harris for the Pittsburgh Steelers against the Los Angeles
Rams in Super Bowl XIV.
d. Terrell Davis for the Denver Broncos against the Green Bay Packers in
Super Bowl XXXII.
25. This player set the career record for the highest passer rating, for a career, in a Super Bowl with 127.8.
a. Joe Montana for the San Francisco 49ers.
b. Jim Plunkett for the Oakland-Los Angeles Raiders.
c. Terry Bradshaw for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
26. This player set the record for throwing for the most yards for a career with 1,142.
a. John Elway
b. Joe Montana
c. Terry Bradshaw.
27. This player set the record with 414 yards passing in one game.
a. Kurt Warner for the Los Angeles Rams.
b. Joe Montana for the San Francisco 49ers.
c. Donovan McNabb for the Philadelphia Eagles.
28. This player set the record for the longest completion in a Super Bowl game.
a. Jake Delhomme for the Carolina Panthers against the New England
Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVIII.
b. Brett Favre for the Green Bay Packers against New England in Super
c. Jim Plunkett for the Oakland Raiders against the Philadelphia Eagles in
Super Bowl XV.
29. This player three for the most touchdowns in a Super Bowl career-11.
a. Terry Bradshaw for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
b. Roger Staubach for the Dallas Cowboys.
c. Joe Montana for the San Francisco 49ers.
30. This player threw for the most touchdowns in one game.
a. Joe Montana for the San Francisco 49ers against the Denver Broncos in
Super Bowl XXIV.
b. Steve Young for the San Francisco 49ers against the San Diego Chargers
in Super Bowl XXIX.
1. a.-Elway led the Broncos to a 34-19 victory over the Atlanta Falcons with 336
yards passing, with one touchdown and one touchdown rushing.
3. b.-The Broncos have also won two Super Bowls, while the Vikings and Bills
haven’t yet won one.
4. d.-The Pittsburgh Steelers and Denver Broncos have tied for second with six
8. d. – They lost all four.
11. a.-The other scores were really Dallas 52 Buffalo 17; Tampa Bay 48 Oakland 21
12. b.-The other listed records are true.
16. b.-He won two and lost three with the Miami Dolphins and lost one with the
17. a.-For the Pittsburgh Steelers
18. b.-He caught eight touchdown passes during his career.
19. b.-Jerry Rice did it twice.
21. a.-with 204 yards
23. a.-The other records are also true.
26. b.-Montana set the record in four games. Elway threw for 1,128 in five, Bradshaw
for 932 in four.
30. b.-He threw for six.