Staind is an alternative metal group comprised of Aaron Lewis (vocals and acoustics), Mike Mushok (guitar), Johnny April (bass), and Jon Wysocki (drums). After being formed on November 24, 1995, Staind caught their first big break in 1997 when the lead singer of Limp Bizkit’s Fred Durst noticed their talent at a show and later helped them sign on with Flip records in 1998.
Five albums later and you can still count on a Staind C.D. to make help fuel the fires of good times and help douse the rage of bad times! My top favorite songs are almost all from their first signed album because of the way my life was at that point, but overall I love all their music. So here you have it, the top ten songs by Staind:
10. It’s Been Awhile (Break the Cycle album) – This songs lyrics revolve around it having been awhile since he has said, done, and felt things. With verses such as “I’ve gone and f*cked things up again,” it’s easy to see why most people would label this song a pity song. I on the other hand do not see this song as a source of self loathing but rather a way of admitting to ones self your mistakes and taking responsibility for your own actions.
9. So Far Away (14 Shades of Grey album) – In my opinion this is one of Stainds more mellow songs. You can hear the emotions behind this song as its being sung and almost everyone can connect with the lyrics of believing something is too good to be true. The song circles around the disbelief of finally being able to accept yourself, your past, and being happy. The song takes a turn at the end, changing the lyrics from “Shake me, ’cause I must be sleeping” to “I’m so afraid of waking, please don’t shake me.”
8. Cross to Bear (Chapter V album) – This song lives up to the usual Staind flavor of starting out soft and throwing you head first into metal. This song is one of my favorites because it involves an important moment of life that everyone goes through. At some point people are going to try and drag you down in life, whether you let them is up to you. It is easy to feel empowered when listening to verses like “you don’t know me, you don’t see me, you don’t want me ’cause I don’t care, but I’m still here, patiently waiting for you to disappear, is this my cross to bear?” In the end it reiterates the fact that those people will go away, just don’t give up.
7. Please (Chapter V album) – This song gets right to the point of challenging the negative people and things in your life. This song focuses on standing up and pointing out the wrong that has been done to you and the fact that no matter what you do, it will never be enough for some people.
6. Falling Down (14 Shades of Grey album) – This song starts out with the lyrics “What happened to you, it’s obvious you’ve changed.” This songs lyrics reminds me of the people that you know deserve the worst but always come out on top. It points out that everyone eventually falls and hits the ground; it may just be a long way down.
5. A Flat (Dysfunction album) – Although this is another song labeled by most as a self pity song, I think that’s the point of the lyrics. When you are mad at the world and what has been done to you, what’s better than screaming at the top of your lungs “I’m not O.K.!”? This is especially true on the days when you feel like everyone overlooks you and you are tired of pretending nothing is wrong. It is very easy to get into the song and start screaming too. Every time I hear it and I sing along, I feel so much better by the end; even if nothing was bothering me to begin with.
4. Home (Dysfunction album) – This song conveys the feelings of hitting rock bottom, when you feel that everything you’ve done is for nothing. The song carries an overall metal essence but incorporates the soul of the feelings behind it. I can’t explain it to someone who doesn’t understand, but listening to this song when you’re in the place it explains just lets you feel that you’ve let out some of those emotions.
3. Raw (Dysfunction album) – This is the one song I love by Staind for a reason other than the lyrics. While the lyrics are meaningful, I find them a little repetitive. I do however love the music in this song; it definitely fits the title of Raw. It’s a great hard core metal song to blow off some steam to.
2. Right Here (Chapter V album) – Not only does this song have a remarkable melody but the lyrics are extremely easy to connect with. I think this song represents the mistakes made in relationships on both peoples end. The lyrics, “And if you chose to walk away I’d still be right here waiting,” “But you always find a way to keep me right here waiting,” and “But I always find a way to keep you right here waiting” point out that both parties mess up in relationships, but to endure is to be right here waiting anyway.
Drum roll pleaseÃ¢Â?Â¦..And the number one song by Staind IS
1. Me (Dysfunction album) – This song is not just a melody or lyrics that evoke feelings for me, this song changed my life. I was at a very bad place when I heard this song for the first time and it made me realize what I was and where I was headed. I think this song could be an awakening for others who are in the place I was if they truly listen and choose to see reality. To me this song represents the admissions you have to go through in order to heal.