He’s finally here: People’s Sexiest Man Alive for 2013
! Adam Levine is the winner. Already, daytime talk show hosts are discussing this choice. Was he the right one? Why didn’t Justin Timberlake get the honor? What about next year?
All of this nonsense is hilarious to me. I can’t stop laughing at all of the hubbub and you should be chuckling too.
- It’s all about popularity. Let’s face facts. There are a lot of pretty men in the world. Many of them are models. You often see them in underwear catalogs or television ads for Liquid Plummer. Where you don’t see these hot dudes are in the list for People’s Sexiest Man Alive because they aren’t worth millions or starring in a major TV show. These two factors seem to be the real reason behind the selection process for this title.
- Winners are usually Caucasian. Romantic tales about men with smoldering eyes, bulging chests and large you know what’s involve males from many races. Yet, for some reason People’s Sexiest Man Alive is almost always Caucasian. This gossip rag throws in a few token African Americans, but they usually aren’t the same guys who’d ever make the list if it were in Ebony magazine. Hence, this year’s pick (one of them) of music mogul Pharrell.
- The over thirty crowd takes center stage. Apparently, People’s Sexiest Man Alive can only get chosen if he is over 30. If you go back through their archives, you see that no young Hollywood studs get top prize. I chalk this up to gender stereotypes. Why? If you check out any of Maxim’s Definitive List of the World’s Most Beautiful Women, you’ll see tons of twenty-something’s and a sprinkling of chicks in their 30s or 40s.
- Some of the picks are questionable. You probably would never guess that actor Nick Nolte – known best these days for his substance abuse – was People’s Sexiest Man Alive in ’92. Yes! He was in his early 50s. The picture of him on the cover of People magazine was nice, but I am SURE there were better options. By the way, in 1992, Nick Nolte was nominated for an Academy Award for his role in the movie “Affliction”.
- Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This last point is the main reason why I laugh every year at People’s Sexiest Man Alive selection. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. So, who really can say any guy is the sexiest man alive? For many females, it’s their husband – the man who loves and supports them through everything.
So, in conclusion, maybe in the future, the staff at People magazine might surprise readers and choose someone outside of the box for their Sexiest Man Alive. It’ll be interesting to see considering all of the buzz surrounding Adam Levine this year and criticism of him receiving this honor.
* * *