Buttermilk Waffles Recipe
Author: Cynthia Lee
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 370 mg
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
Recipe type: Dessert
- All-purpose flour (spooned and levelled) - 2 cups
- Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Low-fat buttermilk - 2 cups
- Unsalted butter (melted) - ½ cup (1 stick)
- Eggs - 2 large
- Vegetable oil to grease waffle iron - As required
- Maple-Walnut Sauce - For serving
- Blueberry Sauce - For serving
- Banana-Caramel Sauce - For serving
- Berries-and-Cream Topping - For serving
- Start by preheating the oven to 275 degree Fahrenheit.
- Set a wire rack on a baking tray and place it in the oven.
- Whisk together two cups of all-purpose flour, two tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, two teaspoons of baking powder and half teaspoon of salt in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Take a large bowl and pour two cups of low-fat buttermilk into it.
- Add half cup of melted, unsalted butter into the butter milk and whisk together.
- Break two large eggs in a small bowl, add them to buttermilk mixture and whisk thoroughly until you get a smooth paste.
- Now add sifted dry ingredients to the buttermilk and egg mixture and mix just until the batter is combined.
- Heat waffle iron following manufacturer’s instructions and brush it lightly with vegetable oil.
- Once the waffle iron is hot enough pour the batter onto it and spread evenly, leaving a half inch border on all sides.
- Close the iron and allow the batter to cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until waffles are crisp and golden brown.
- Once the waffles are golden brown, remove them from the iron and transfer to the wire rack in oven to keep warm.
- Your butter milk waffles are ready.
- Repeat the process with remaining batter.
- Serve warm with either of Maple-Walnut Sauce, Blueberry Sauce, Banana-Caramel Sauce and Berries-and-Cream Topping.