A recent Mabelline cosmetics commercial sings, “Maybe she was born with it, maybe it’s Mabelline.” It’s true. Most of us were not born with perfect skin, we must work towards it. Perhaps makeup can hide the imperfections in our skin, but do you really want to be hiding your complexion instead of showing it off? What about when you wake up first thing in the morning or you go to the beach and the pool? Those are moments in which you will have to expose your naked face.
Scary, isn’t it? Don’t panic, there are things you can do to improve the look and health of your complexion, and they are not necessarily expensive or complicated.
1. Avoid wearing foundation. Try to not wear any foundation at all. If you have dark circles under your eyes, apply a little bit of under circle makeup and perhaps a dusting of power if you absolutely have to. If there are blemishes you want to hide, buy a concealer stick and only apply a tiny amount on the imperfections, then dust your face. This will help your pores from getting too clogged. Only wear foundation for special occasions.
2. Drink more water. Water is skin’s friend. Skin loves water. Drink as much water as you can and this will certainly help your complexion. Instead of juice of soda, drink water with your meals. Trust me, your skin needs this natural moisturizer.
3. Wash your face at least twice a day. Use a gentle cleaner before bed -never go to bed with your makeup on!- and every morning. Slash a lot of hot water on your face before because this will open your pores and help with the cleansing process.
4. Use a toner or astringent. Even after washing your face, you will still need to apply a toner -if you have dry or normal skin- or an astringent -if you have oily or acne prone skin. Wet a cotton pad with a good amount of toner and astringent and gently swipe it all over your face. You will see you still had makeup or dirt residue on your complexion.
5. Moisturize. Every night after you cleanse and use toner on your face, you need to lather a good quantity of moisturizer on your skin. Massage your face until the skin has absorbed it. Every morning, before you apply the little makeup you are going to wear, apply moisturizer with a 30 spf. The sun is not your complexion’s friend so you need to protect it, especially during summer time!
6. Exfoliate. Once a week you should pamper your skin by exfoliating it. Purchase a mild exfoliating cleanser according to your skin type and follow the instructions. This will leave your skin fresh and it will wash away all the dead cells.
7. Apply a clay or cream mask once a week. If your complexion is dry, use a cream mask, if it is oily, use a clay one. The purpose of a mask is it absorbs the skin secretions. If you use it too often, it can dry your skin, so just as with the exfoliating cleanser, use only once a week.
8. Do not pick on pimples or touch your face. Even after washing your hands, they still have oils and impurities, so do stop constantly touching your face if that is your habit. It is hard not to bother your pimples when they are “ready to pop” but this is the worst thing you can do since they will get infected and they will take longer to heal.
9. Don’t overdo the acne medications. Some of these medications can be very harsh on your skin, drying it out.
10. Wash your pillowcase constantly. You lie with your face on your pillow every night for hours. Pillows can be covered in dust and dirt just by lying there all day, so you need to was your pillow case quite often. Flip over your pillow every time you are going to use it.
If you follow these tips, you will see a definite improvement in your complexion.