Homemade Dulce De Leche Recipe
Author: Cynthia Lee
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated fat: 4.5 g
- Trans fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 55 g
- Sugar: 50 g
- Sodium: 129 mg
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 29 mg
Recipe type: Dessert
- Canned condensed milk - about 1½ cups
- Canned evaporated milk - about 1⅔ cups
- Baking soda - ½ tsp
- Salt (optional) - a generous pinch
- Cinnamon (optional) - 4 to 5 sticks
- Corn syrup - 1 tsp
- Vanilla - 1 tsp
- Add about 1½ cups of canned condensed milk, about 1⅔ cups of canned evaporated milk, 4 to 5 cinnamon sticks, ½ teaspoon baking soda and a generous pinch of salt to a cooking pot.
- Set the pot over a stove lit at medium heat and start stirring contents with a wooden spatula.
- Adjust the temperature if required so that the mixture in the pot simmers.
- Continue to stir the contents for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- The mixture gradually starts becoming much thinner than it initially was.
- Moreover, it will darken in colour as well.
- The mixture will start bubbling vigorously after being cooked at low heat for about 30 minutes.
- At this point, colour of the mixture would have changed to golden and it would be a lot thicker than before.
- To prevent the recipe from burning and thus sticking to the bottom of the cooking pot, it is vital that you keep stirring the mixture.
- To check if the caramel sauce is ready, take out the wooden spatula out of the mixture and form a ribbon of caramel sauce on the surface of the mixture.
- If the ribbon stays for about 10 seconds, the caramel sauce is ready.
- Another possible way to determine if the caramel sauce is ready, drag the spatula through the mixture, keeping it in contact with the bottom of the cooking pot.
- If the bottom of the pot remains visible for a few seconds before the mixture closes in on itself, the caramel sauce is ready and you can move on to the next step.
- Turn off the heat and allow about 10 minutes for the temperature of the caramel sauce to lower.
- Carefully remove all the cinnamon sticks that you added at the start, stir in 1 tablespoon of both vanilla and corn syrup as you empty the contents of the cooking pot in a glass bowl.
- Let the caramel sauce cool completely before eating it.