With summer heat and humidity comes frizzy hair. If your hair has been layered, or layer razored or chemically treated with highlights or straightening chemicals, chances are you’ve had more than one bad hair day this summer. Naturally thick and coarse hair or wavy hair can also frizz. There are so many frizz-related products it can be hard to choose which one is best for you.
Unlike with facial cleansers and moisturizers, it is not necessary to use the same brand of shampoo, conditioner, gel/mousse or lotion and hair spray. It’s okay to mix and match hair product brands based on your personal usage results, i.e. no more frizz head. In order to combat frizziness, a product which is applied to soaking-wet or towel-dry hair is essential. Finishing products are great for finishing, but you have to start with an anti-frizz look before you can put on the finishing touches.
Based on personal experience, here are the top five anti-frizz products:
5. Citre Shine’s Shine Miracle Anti-Frizz Polising Serum contains vitamis, sunscreen and silicones. The citrus extracts enhance your hair’s shine. For an ultra-shiny and smooth look also try Citre Shine’s Anti Frizz Spray Laminator.
4. John Frieda’s Frizz-Ease Hair Serum was one of the first anti-frizz products I tried. At the time my hair was chemically damaged and this product made it glossier, stronger and much less frizzy. This product works best on soaking wet hair and contains a sunscreen. There now also a light formula available.
3. Marc Anthony‘s Simply Straight Instant Straightening Cream is made for curly hair, however I found it was the perfect solution to tame my thick, wavy and frizzy hair. It is a soft blue lotion that is best applied to damp hair. It straightens the hair with silicone and is great for those mornings when blow-drying is not an option.
2. Paul Mitchell’s Super Skinny Serum is true to its name. Your thick, bulky hair will shrink beautifully into manageable tresses. The Super Skinny Serum is best when applied to damp or towel-dried hair. This lightweight product also decreases drying time. This product may also be applied to completely dry hair to tame any fly-aways. Another option is the bottle of Gloss Drops, which is intended as a finishing gloss. You don’t need to purhchase both, however, as the Super Skinny Serum works on both wet and dry hair. As much as I love the Paul Mitchell line, I did not find the Super Skinny Shampoo and Treatment to be as effective as the serum.
1. Herbal Essense’s None of Your Frizziness is an amazing collection, and not just because of its cute name. Unique to this product are its mandarin orange and pearl ingredients. I noticed a difference the first time I used the shampoo and the conditioner. The frizz is gone and my normally coarse hair is silky smooth. They also make a smoothing leave-in “creme” which I have not tried because the shampoo and conditioner work so well.
Although these have been the most successful products for my hair, consider this a starting point for de-frizzing your hair. Only by trying some of these top products will you find the right one or best combination for your hair.